Published : 24th September 2010 @ 23:42 by jeni

I have several varieties of Heirloom carrots I have grown this year mostly with purple outsides. Does this count as exotic?

Published : 24th September 2010 @ 23:45 by jeni

Heirloom Carrot

Published : 28th September 2010 @ 09:15 by editor

Yep, I reckon being purple is enough to classify a carrot as exotic! What does it taste like?

Published : 28th September 2010 @ 15:43 by jeni

These carrots taste as sweet as the regular ones in the shops but there is not as much stalk in the middle (which can taste bit hard and starchy)

The texture may be slightly different but this might depend on what is in the soil.

I have just tasted another one and texture was more smooth. This is my first year for growing these.

Better that these are eaten raw so that you get the purple anti oxidants at max nutrient levels for health reasons.

Published : 20th January 2011 @ 07:18 by irridium

is this 'purple haze'? i've just bought some seeds from the World Classics range (£2.35p) from Wilko's when the colour seemed so attractive on the seed packet. i intend to just eat these raw rather than cook with them. they would look so pretty in salads. i wonder if the purple outer 'stain' or 'bleed' in anyway if grated?

bren

To leave a response to the post you will need to be a registered user. Sign-up here or Login here